International noodles incident with tteokbokki
I submitted a Korean noodle dish for the June International Incident Party featuring the sublimely versatile noodle known as garae tteok in Korean.
1 lb. sticky rice cake sticks (garae tteok)
5 fried fish cakes (odeng)
1/4 head chopped cabbage
2 green onions, cutting diagonally about one inch long and separating the white part from the green part
3 tbsp. red pepper paste (gochujang)
1 tbsp. red pepper powder (gochugaru) or hot paprika
2 tbsp. honey or agave syrup
2 cups water
1/4 cup soju
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. sesame seed oil
2 tbsp. minced garlic
- Presoak the garae tteok noodles for at least 10 minutes.
- While the noodles are soaking, you can start making the sauce. Briefly saute the garlic and then add all the sauce ingredients and stir until they come together and start to come to a boil.
- Add the noodles, fish cake, cabbage and the white part of the green onion and boil for about eight minutes.
- Then add the green part of the green onions and continue to cook until the noodle are completely cooked through.
- Serve hot with rice and Korean side dishes.
This post is carefully coordinated to post at 11 a.m. June 20, 2010, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, time. After all, how can you join a party if you show up late?
Edit: I wasn’t the only guest at the party.Here are the other noodle recipes featured in the International Noodles Incident party. Here’s the list of party attendees offering up 15 different noodle recipes featuring vermicelli, soba, handpulled noodles, egg noodles, etc.
Here is the list of the party goers!
- Penny – Jeroxie (Addictive & Consuming) – Homemade ban mian with minced pork and mushrooms
- Christine – Christine’s Recipes – Spicy Pork Mince and Noodles in Crisp Lettuce Cups
- Mardi – Eat, Live, Travel, Write – Ginger scallion & Butter noodles
- Trix – Tasty Trix – Summer ‘Noodles’ with yellow and green zuchinni with cool basil oil tomato sauce
- Shirley – Enriching your kid – Vermicilli Biryani with Tahini
- Natasha – 5 Star Foodie – Homemade Soba Noodles
- Anges – Off the spork – Handpulled noodles at home
- Joanne – Second Helping– Noodle Kugels
- Cherry – Sweet Cherry Pie – Coconut noodles with honey glazed pork belly
- Tracey – Tangled Noodle Fork in the Road: North Platte Noodles
- Evelyne – Cheap Ethnic Eatz – Incidental Noodles
- Ms Baklover – Footscray Food Blog – Zha Jiang Mian
- Tamar – Koreanfornian Cooking – Tteokbokki
- Billy – Half-Eaten – Pumpkin Miso Noodles in Shitake Dashi Broth
- Nina – Consumed Food Love – Vietnamese Noodle Salad
- Suresh – 3 hungry tummies – Twice cooked pork with rice noodles
- Anh – A food Lover’s Journey – Taco Soba Noodle
- Lori – Wannabe Gourmand – Nonya Curry Laksa
- Malou – Skip to Malou– Fried Noodle Dish