Recipe: Korean carrot salad (Koreyscha Sabzili Salat)
This is a recipe that begs to be made a day in advance so the ingredients have a chance to get to know each other better.
Korean Carrots (Koreyscha Sabzili Salat)
1 lb carrots, peeled, finely julienne
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 teaspoons ground red pepper
5 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
3 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar (or white vinegar)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used grapeseed oil, but sunflower seed oil would work)
- Julienne carrots with a vegetable shredder and put into a large bowl.
- Mix carrots and salt together. Set aside for 20-30 minutes. Press mixture firmly and drain the liquid.
- Add the other ingredients (except the oil) and mix them well.
- Put 1/2 cup oil in a saucepan and heat it up on medium low heat for a few minutes. Pour the warmed oil onto the carrots and mix completely.
- Cover the bowl and put it in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours or overnight to marinade.