Recipe: Lotus Root Pizza
What do I do with a package of pita bread if I’m not pining for pita pockets filled with falafel?
A photo posted on Twitter by JLandKev, aka Busan Kevin, of a small personal-sized pizza smeared with tomato sauce, topped with sliced lotus root and sprinkled with mozzarella cheese inspired me. I saved this recipe idea “for such a time as this.” I would make a pre-Passover version for myself.
Lotus root doesn’t taste like much, but it’s a decent source of vitamins B and C and is high in fiber.
Lotus Root Pizza
6 pita pockets, left whole
18 tablespoons pizza or spaghetti sauce (3 tablespoons per pita)
6 slices lotus root
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spread the pitas lightly with tomato sauce, pressing them to flatten while spreading.
- Top with mozzarella and lotus root slices.
- Spread the pitas on a large baking sheet. (Depending on large your pitas are, you may need two baking sheets.) Bake in the preheated oven eight minutes, or until the pitas have reached desired crispness.
- Serve whole, or cut into slices.