Recipe: Dakgalbi tacos
The most famous style of 닭갈비 dakgalbi, called 춘천 닭갈비 Chuncheon dakgalbi, is made with a combination of grilled chicken, sweet potato, rice noodles and cabbage all grilled together. I’ve deconstructed it and brought it a little closer to old Mexico by dispensing with the 가래떡 garaetteok (large rice noodles) and leaving the cabbage raw for a garnish on top. Cabbage lends a cooling crunch to an otherwise spicy dish.
닭갈비 Dakgalbi Tacos
Serves four as a main course.
1/2 large sweet potato, peeled and finely diced
1 pound chicken, cubed
1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
4 tablespoons 고추장 gochujang (spicy red pepper sauce)
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce or fish sauce
2 teaspoons honey
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon 고추가루 gochugaru (Korean spicy red chili powder)
1 tablespoon Korean curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 head cabbage, shredded (for garnish)
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Place ground chicken, sweet potato and onion in a bowl, and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix the other ingredients, except the black sesame seeds and cabbage. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil for later. Stir to combine.
- Pour the sauce into the bowl with the chicken, sweet potato and onion to marinade for a few hours.
- Preheat your skillet to medium-high, and add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Once the oil is hot, add all the ingredients to the skillet and stir fry for about 10 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked.
- Plate a large spoonful of the dakgalbi onto a small tortilla and top with shredded cabbage and sesame seeds.