Recipe: Korean Bok Choy With Beef
|Try some choy sum in a Korean-style stir fry. (Tammy Quackenbush photo)|
Though it’s a variety of 복 쵸이 bok choy, choy sum isn’t like the bok choy most of us are familiar with in Chinese cuisine. Also called Chinese flowering cabbage and related to mustard, choy sum does look similar to mustard greens — more like a cross between celery and spinach.
To give the family some joy from this choy sum, I chose to deploy it with a crowd-pleaser: Asian-style barbecued beef. To keep it simple, I slightly sautéed the choy sum with steak in a marinade and served it with sprouted brown rice and kale kimchi.
For the marinade, Korean-flavored options include 불고기 bulgogi or 갈비 kalbi. There’s also teriyaki sauce. These sauces can be involved recipes in themselves, so good bottled versions include Bibigo’s Original Korean BBQ Sauce and Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce.
This recipe would be just as tasty with whatever variety of bok choy you can find in your grocery store or garden
Korean-style Bok Choy With Beef
Serves two to four
12 oz beef flank steak
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon 참기름 chamgireum (sesame oil), divided
3 tablespoons water
1/3 cup bulgogi or kalbi sauce
1/4 pound choy sum or bok choy, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Cut steak diagonally across the grain in 1/4-inch-thick slices. You can slice it even thinner if you partially freeze the steak first.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until the oil starts rippling. Then stir-fry the beef for 30 seconds, until it’s no longer pink.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of sauce, and stir-fry for an additional 30 seconds or so. Remove the meat from the pan to a bowl, and cover to keep warm.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of seseame oil to the skillet, then add the bok choy or choy sum. Stir-fry it for 30 seconds. Add 3 tablespoons of water, cover and steam for 1 minute.
- Uncover the steaming veggies, add the remaining sauce and stir-fry for 1 minute, until the it is crisp-tender.
- Add meat and juices to the veggies, and stir-fry for 30 seconds to heat the mixture. Remove it from the heat, and serve.