Recipe: Fried Seasoned Zucchini (호박볶음 hobak bokkeum)
Yet hobak bokkeum is a simple dish and once you make it, you can either serve it on the spot in banchan form, or you can set it aside and put it into your bibimbap.
The zucchini I used here was a little fat for bibimbap but it work well as a typical American side dish.
Hobak bokkeum 호박볶음
1 medium zucchini (about 10–12 ounces)
1 tablespoon grapeseed, rice bran or high-heat oil (recommend: non-GMO)
2 teaspoons fish sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 scallion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
1. Slice zucchini thin.
2. Heat a pan with the grapeseed oil over medium high heat.
3. Mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, creating a sauce.
4. Add the zucchini to the skillet, and cook for one to two minutes.
5. Add the sauce and cook for one to two more minutes, stirring well until the zucchini is softened and turns translucent.
6. Drizzle with sesame oil before serving.