Recipe: Dakgalbi cauliflower (닭갈비 콜리 플라워)
Sometimes, the best meals come from sheer experimentation and succeed when one does not make the same mistake twice or learn from the successes of others.
I had an overflow of cauliflower in my refrigerator recently and was scratching my head on what to make of it. I could just chop it up, mix it with some broccoli and make it into a salad, but I didn’t have any broccoli on hand.
Then I ordered some spicy lamb cauliflower curry from a nearby Himalayan restaurant. That’s when inspiration struck.
Think of this as a low-carbohydrate version of 닭갈비 dakgalbi (spicy grilled chicken, often served with 떡 ddeok (large rice noodles)). Dakgalbi sauce is versatile, it’s sweet, spicy and savory all at the same time. It’s the foundation of my recipe for kimchi pizza. I previously made dakgabli tacos and spaghetti sauce with the same sauce. If I could get away with making a dakgabli pumpkin pie, I’d probably do it. My family and friends are thankful I would never do that.
Spicy chicken with cauliflower
1½ pounds chicken thighs
1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
4 teaspoons 고추장 gochujang (Korean spicy red pepper sauce)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce or fish sauce
2 teaspoons honey
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon 고추가루 gochugaru (Korean spicy red chili powder)
1 tablespoon Korean curry powder
½ teaspoon salt
- Cube chicken thighs in a large bowl, and add the cauliflower florets.
- In a small bowl, mix the gochujang, sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, garlic, gochugaru, Korean curry powder and salt in a bowl until they are combined.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and cauliflower, and stir until the chicken and cauliflower are completely covered in sauce.
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes covered.
- Uncover, and cook an additional 10 minutes.