Recipe: Lemon Soju with Szechuan Button Garnish
This is a refreshing cocktail built by blending fresh lemonade with soju (a Korean rice liquor). Rimming the glass with petals pinched from Szechuan buttons takes the citrus zing to a new level that’ll not only pucker your lips but make them tingle too!
1 cup organic sugar + 1 cup of water= simple syrup
1 cup Lemon Juice
1 1/4th to 2 1/4th cups Cold Water
1 ¾ cups Soju
1. Heat up one cup of water, add 1 cup of sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Pinch the small petals off of the Szechuan buttons.
3. Blend the lemon juice, soju, simple syrup and 1 1/4th cups of cold water.
4. Taste. If it’s stronger than you’d like, stir in up to an additional cup of cold water.
5. Rim the glass with the Szechuan button petals & serve!
*I used organic brown sugar in my simple syrup, so that’s why my lemonade looks more brown than yellow. You could use less sugar in your simple syrup (1 cup water, ¾ cup sugar) for a more tart & healthier cocktail.
This recipe was originally published on the Marx Foods Recipe blog.
If you want to do your own Szechuan Button experiments, you can buy them online at Marx Foods. If you have a green thumb and would like to try your hand at growing this perennial flower yourself, you can purchase seeds from The Seed Bank Store in Petaluma, Calif online or at their store located in the historic Sonoma County National Bank on 199 Petaluma Blvd.